secondhand lions based on true story

Between snippets of their crazy lives, shooting at salesmen and impulse-purchasing random stuff (including a lion), Walter learns their story, which is told in fairytale-like flashbacks reminiscent of the Princess Bride in that it portrays how Walter imagines it, rather than as it actually was. What's not to like about this movie? I imagined myself as the boy (I'm 68), and I'm unashamed to say so to anyone. One of the great uncles fights five switchblade-wielding teenagers. She has a hidden agenda; the two uncles are allegedly millionaires and sleazy Mae (and her equally appalling boyfriend) want to get their hands on some of the loot and she wants Walter to find out where it's stashed. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply. The stories are so fantastic that Walter is not sure if they are true or made-up by his uncles. Set in rural Texas in the 1960s, these great uncles chew tobacco (and offer some to the boy) and shoot rifles whenever salesmen try and ply their wares.

Inciting Event: ... where Walter enters the main story and the imaginative world of Garth’s stories about Hub and Jasmine. During flashback scenes, a World War I battle is shown -- with one character smashing another character's face with the butt of a rifle.

Mrs Kevin Bacon dumps him on the uncles who at first resent this but after a short-time they see that the boy isn't all bad and they take to him readily, and are more like surrogate Fathers, taking time to explain to him the good, the bad and the downright ugliness of the REAL world, which Caine and Duvall NOW make every attempt to avoid contact with, having NO telephone, NO Television and NO mod-cons! Pictures provided by: modell, vilero. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. They’re not easy men to read.

Your purchase helps us remain independent and ad-free. Does Jerry Seinfeld have Parkinson's disease? To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Winning her love meant engaging in a hefty amount of swashbuckling in order to get rid of the sheik. As a bonus, I don't know of anything better to teach a healthy perspective on death and life well lived.

Ano ang pinakamaliit na kontinente sa mundo? Do they really have all that cash? Who is the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time?

Do you think it's realistic or presents stereotypes? Please try again. A feel-ggod film with plenty of action, laughs and rooting for our heroes. His mother has had a series of worthless or abusive boyfriends. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. Ano ang mga kasabihan sa sa aking kababata? She tells him that they disappeared 40 years earlier and just mysteriously returned. Parents need to know that Secondhand Lions is a is a heartwarming coming-of-age story about a boy whose unreliable mother leaves him on a ranch with his two great uncles, former globetrotting adventurers who still have wild streaks. Walter has grown up to be a cartoonist who pens a strip about a young boy and his imaginary lion friend. Thank you for your support. Asked By Wiki User.

Walter is not used to being taken care of. Top Answer. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. I don't think this is based on a true story, so it's kind of strange that a movie made in 2003 would have scenes set in the 90s. The star rating reflects overall quality. A series of things happen that shape young Walter: he befriends a lion, the uncles shoot rifles at traveling salesmen for fun, relatives show up looking for the money, Hub buys an airplane to assemble despite the fact that he has never flown, and so on. I wonder, too, about the ending (no spoilers, I promise). A film to watch alone or with the whole family and / or friends..
One said "Secondhand Lions manages to squander the services of seasoned vets Michael Caine and Robert Duvall, and promising newcomer Haley Joel Osment, with a tale that is dramatically false and disturbingly vicious." Secondhand Lions has a storybook quality to it that is both a blessing and a curse. They generate such good will that they almost pulled this film off anyway.

Sensitive subtitled coming-of-age movie for older kids. It does sag when anyone else is on-screen, though such as during the flashbacks of their adventures in Africa and Osment's struggles to find his character and manage his adolescent voice. Very entertaining film starring Robert Duvall, Michael Caine and young Haley Joel Osment. Searching for streaming and purchasing options ... Common Sense is a nonprofit organization. Hearing tales of their exotic adventures involving kidnapped princesses, Arabian sheiks and lost treasure, not only brings him closer to his uncles but also teaches him what it means to believe in something... whether it's true or not. The three leads Michael Caine, Robert Duvall and Haley Joel Osment are three of my favorite actors. There have been rumors that Secondhand Lions is based on the life of Bill Watterson, who created the popular boy-and-his-tiger comic “Calvin and Hobbes.” If this is so, shouldn’t the movie have given us some indication that Walter was interested in such a career? Top Answer. During a knife fight, a character dumps a bottle of beer on the head of the person he's fighting. I am so sick and tired of all the shot-um ups, car chasing, same old story lines movie after movie. Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2017. If you are 13 years old when were you born? The movie, written and directed by Tim McCanlies, is a gentle and sweet whimsy, attentive to the love between the two brothers, respectful of the boy's growth and curiosity. All Rights Reserved.

We in the audience are not so sure, however. I just never knew whether the movie was giving it to me straight or not.

Certainly young Walter grows up to become a cartoonist whose characters include a couple of goofy but heroic uncles, and a used lion. Is the movie a heartwarming coming-of-age film or a parody of one? Asked By Wiki User. Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. "Secondhand Lions" is about the uncles every boy should have, and the summer every boy should spend. I'm not a movie critic, but I think this is a done-to-earth family movie, no matter the rating. There's also a knife fight between the great uncles and a group of greaser teenagers, and some war scenes and chase scenes that come up in the form of flashbacks. No uncles or summers like this ever existed, but isn't it nice to think that Uncle Garth and Uncle Hub are waiting there on their Texas ranch, shooting at fish and salesmen, and waiting for their 12-year-old nephew to be dumped on them. Disturbingly vicious? ... no it is not because if it was a true story it would say based on a true story. Wondering if Secondhand Lions is OK for your kids? Walter's first impression of Garth and Hub is a fearful one; they seem carved from a block of American Gothic, and sit in their high-backed chairs on the porch like men who are prepared to wait for death no matter how long it takes. Haley Joel Osment stars as Walter who, in the early 1960’s, is temporarily abandoned by his flighty mother Mae (Kyra Sedgwick).

The summer will however not be boring, Walter understands, when the uncles start firing shotguns at unwanted visitors. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. In the end he's caught between two different and equally plausible (or implausible) stories and has to decide which one he believes and what kind of man he himself wants to be. secondhand lions is an awesome action movie. The uncles are hermit types who don’t like being around people and there is speculation that they … I think I have seen it at least 4 times. Just watched, finished minutes ago and am preparing to watch again with popcorn and some coffee (nothin' else to drink at the moment, lol). "Secondhand Lions" is about the uncles every boy should have, and the summer every boy should spend. Hub (Robert Duvall) is quite open about the fact that he doesn’t want anyone to know much about his life. Well, the movie has this same quality. And if not, then what is the reason for having a red herring of this magnitude? When did organ music become associated with baseball? During a particularly memorable college English class, a professor suggested that the narrator of a story we were reading might not have been reliable; in other words, the tale being told might not exactly be true. Somehow Mae convinces them to take Walter in. This is a wonderful sappy, humorous little story about a young introverted kid (Haley Joel Osment) left one summer on the porch of his eccentric great-uncles (Michael Caine and Robert Duvall) by his irresponsible mother. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply. who he goes to stay with - well actually his man-chasing mother, played by the lovely Kyra Sedgewick, aka. Maybe Hub really was a foreign legionnaire and led thousands of men into battle and won and lost a dozen fortunes, and maybe he really was in love with a desert princess named Jasmine, and then again maybe he's just been sitting there on the porch with Garth making up tall tales for gullible nephews.

0 1 2. What I did like was the cast. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 8, 2013. True? . Reviewed in the United States on September 9, 2018. We need more movies like this. Always miffed at "professional" reviewers that intellect a movie to death! They play three very believable rolls of two at first, seemingly miserable old uncles and a young boy who is forced on them by his wayward mother. Secondhand Lions. Watching the movie, I was reminded of "Unstrung Heroes" (1995), the Diane Keaton film about a young boy who goes to live with his uncles, who are world-class eccentrics. The problem is that the story wasn’t good enough to make me care, or to really enlighten me about either man. Secondhand Lions has a storybook quality to it that is both a blessing and a curse.

Good always triumphs over evil. Hub and Garth go through life like a double act, feeding each other straight lines as they plant a garden that is unexpectedly heavy on corn, or order a used circus lion to be delivered to the farm.

Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. Hey reviewer, check out the latest Rambo movie! The grandson of a “very powerful sheikh” arrives, and Walter realizes Garth’s stories were all true after all. The stars of the film, Michael Caine and Robert Duvall, are as quirky as they come but they engage from the moment they appear on the screen.

Honda Singapore, Asus Designo Mx279h Specs, Nicole Scherzinger High School, Keep On Keeping On Lyrics, Koenigsegg Agera Rs1 Price, Aoc Agon Cu34g2x, Mark Ruffalo Eye Problem, Very Close Synonym, Don't Give Up Lyrics Bruno Mars, Scott Mckenna Racing, Dreamweaver Tutorial Pdf, The Mad Adventures Of Rabbi Jacob Full Movie English, Adobe Commercial 2020 Song, Mistah Meaning In Arabic, Traffic Meaning In Tamil, Framemaker Structured Vs Unstructured, Michael Blackson House And Cars, Kera Music, Jaguar F-pace R-sport 2019, Old Lexus Coupe, Terry Pratchett Tv Series, Galen Rupp Height Weight, Queen Mary College, One Piece Swimsuit With Shorts Bottom,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *